Answers to questions about heli skiing and heliboarding with Methven Heliski.
When is the best time to visit Methven Heli?
Methven Heliski operates every fine day from 01 July to 30 September.
Conditions are colder with more powder days through July to mid-August. Expect spring conditions and corn snow after mid-August.
Ability Required - Can I heliski?
Methven Heliskiing is suitable for intermediate to advanced skiers and riders, or those with previous off-piste experience. Check your ability here →
How long are the runs?
Run length can vary with snow conditions. Our extensive terrain includes several runs over 1000 vertical metres. We guarantee that you’ll ski at least 3000 vertical metres vertical on the Perfect Day, 5-run package.
What happens in a day? How long will it take?
Timing for a standard day follows. Times are approximate:
- 07:00 - 07:20 Final decision to operate made. We start contacting guests, advising on weather, snow conditions, and the day's schedule
- 07:45 Start collecting guests based in Methven, return to our office on Main Street for registration and payment
- 08:30 Depart for helipad - Glenfalloch Station
- 09:30 Safety briefing, and avalanche transceivers issued
- 09:50 Helicopters depart
- 13:00 Lunch
- 15:00 First helicopter loads return to Glenfalloch
- 16:00 Return to Methven
- 17:00 Dropped off at your accommodation
What do I need to bring?
Your own ski or board equipment. Alpine skis, telemark skis, or snowboards are all welcome. Ride on whatever you are most comfortable with. Rental equipment can be hired in Methven.
- Warm clothing - a windproof jacket and pants, warm gloves
- Goggles or sunglasses and sunscreen
- Don’t forget your camera. This will be an experience to remember
Do I need specialised equipment for powder snow?
- Skiers: We recommend skis with 90mm width under foot
- Boarders: have your bindings mounted so the stance is as far back as possible
Group size is limited to a maximum of 4 guests per guide. You will be grouped according to your ability. Your guide will select the terrain best suited to your group.
What kind of helicopters do you use?
Mostly Aerospatiale Squirrels, BA, B2, or D2 variants, which seat up to 5 guests + guide. Helicopters are provided by The Helicopter Line.
What if the weather changes?
Methven Heliskiing operates only in fine weather. We fly 4 or 5 days out of 7. New Zealand has a temperate maritime climate, with very changeable weather patterns. We encourage you to have flexibility in your plans. We can 'carry over' bookings to the following day if required. Read more on the bookings page →
What are the minimum numbers for a booking?
A minimum of 3 bookings on any given day are required to operate. We welcome single bookings. We will place you with a "compatible" group.
We can take group bookings, but cannot guarantee all group members will ski or ride the same terrain at the same time for safety reasons.