Methven Heliski is the closest heliskiing to Christchurch in New Zealand’s South Island. Our heli ski territory, the “Arrowsmiths” spans 3 mountain ranges.
The Arrowsmith, Ragged, and Palmer Ranges are at the headwaters of the Rakaia and Rangitata Rivers. These mountains catch snow from every winter storm to deliver NZ heliskiing's most consistent snow conditions and quality.
Nowhere else in NZ (outside of the Mt Cook area) can you find the glaciated high-alpine heliskiing terrain that Methven Heliski offers.
New Zealand's Best Range of Heliski Terrain
- Runs for all standards of heli-boarder and heliskier, beginner to expert
- Over 1,000 square kilometres of mountains to roam
- Over 200 named heli-skiing runs across 3 mountain ranges
- Average vertical drop approx. 850 vertical metres
The terrain is so extensive that we are often heliskiing in the sun when Mt Hutt ski area and Mt Potts are draped in cloud.
Vital Statistics - Methven Heliskiing Runs
- Highest landing: "Wilderness Experience" at 2,500 metres
- Biggest drop: "Wilderness Experience" 1,200 vertical meters
- Longest Run: "Reischek Glacier" - 3 km over an 1,100 metre descent